Kantey & Templer’s geotechnical expertise was employed in this challenging geotechnical project which
included both lateral support and foundation pile design. The project forms part of the new Castle
Redevelopment in Hout Bay.
Some of the challenging aspects were:
- Designing a multi-tiered lateral support system in steep terrain.
- Incorporating the lateral support into the eventual structure to provide a more economical end product.
- Foundation solutions to provide the required loadings in both sand and rock.
- The use of tie-backs was not possible at the entrance, and propped lateral support was utilised.
- Permanent lateral support was required over localised areas as the new structure would not
provide the necessary support.